This I thought was pretty cute and pretty easy (insert inappropriate joke here). Another cool Summer day’s (or night’s) dessert. If your oven is anything like mine was, you don’t really want to be switching it on when it’s desert degrees outside… For those days, I bring to you this. It’s basically just posh jelly made to look soufflé-like.
- 7.5g powdered gelatine
- 2 eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 lemons
- 150ml whipping cream
- Few handfuls of almonds
- Prepare the soufflé dish: tie a band of double thickness greaseproof paper or foil around the outside so that it stands about 5 cm above the top of the dish.
- Put the water into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatine over the top. Leave for about 10minutes until it becomes spongy. Stand in a pan of hot water and heat until dissolved.
- Put the egg yolks and sugar into a heatproof bowl and put over a pan of simmering water. Using an electric mixer, whisk together. Add the lemon zest and juice and whisk at full speed until mixture is pale and thick.
- Fold in the whipped cream into the lemon mixture, then fold in the dissolved gelatine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but dry. Fold into the lemon mixture, and carefully pour into the prepared soufflé dish. Level the surface, then chill for 4 hours until set.
- Carefully remove the paper collar. Decorate the outside with lightly toasted almonds. Pipe the cream around the edge of the soufflé.
Make you sure it’s hard and stiff before serving. I enjoyed it and I hope you will to…